Sunday, May 11, 2008

"God is love; therefore, He will forgive me."

Many people today, hearing the phrase "God is love" over and over again, have come to believe that God will forgive them, and they will go to Heaven, whether they are a follower of Christ or not. They don't think that God, being a God of love, could punish anyone. Yet, the Bible says that sin will not escape God. God does not ignore sin.

"The LORD replied to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book." (Exodus 32:33)

"But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the LORD; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out." (Numbers 32:23)

"You know my folly, O God; my guilt is not hidden from you." (Psalm 69:5)

"For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son—both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die." (Ezekiel 18:4)

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." (John 3:36)

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness..." (Romans 1:18)

"But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed." (Romans 2:5)

"But if our unrighteousness brings out God's righteousness more clearly, what shall we say? That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? (I am using a human argument.)" (Romans 3:5)

"Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord." (Romans 12:19)

"Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient." (Ephesians 5:6)

"Because of these, the wrath of God is coming." (Colossians 3:6)

1 comment:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

God does express love, especially to the elect, but he is also a God of justice. The results of sin can only be overcome by a person that has the atoning and resurrection work of Christ applied personally.

Jeff, I have a new short article.

Cheers.

Russ